Friday, August 23, 2013

The VIP Potty

This is really happening.

Ever since I started running in college I've always thought I would run a marathon some day.  Years ago when I had my first two knee surgeries the surgeon told me that I would never run distance again.  At that point my longest distance was the occasional 10K but I took his word as gospel.

If you know me, you know that over the last two and a half years I've gone against what the doctor said.  I began walking regularly and changed my eating habits.  When  I began walking crazy amounts of miles on my Saturday walks, I decided to start running a bit.  A bit turned into a lot and with the encouragement of friends and the training of the good folks at Fleet Feet in Brentwood, I ran my first half marathon in April of 2012.  In the year following that, I ran three more and have decided to "scratch my itch" and attempt my first full marathon.

I chose the St. Jude's Memphis Marathon in December of this year for several reasons:  the first had to do with training.  One of the pacers from Fleet Feet was offering a training group for those who were willing to raise money for the hospital as St. Jude's "heroes".  An additional benefit was that you received a guaranteed spot in the race.

As I started the fund raising process, I was given lots of info about St. Jude's and realized what a worthy cause it is.  One startling bit of information was that most of the funds raised by race entries go toward the logistics of the race.  To really make a difference we need to raise money independently.

My fund raising has gone pretty smoothly.  My first goal was $500 and I hit that quickly so I raised my goal to $1000.  I'm now $100 away from that.

At this point you may be wondering what all this has to do with the VIP potty.  Well, each fund raising level has it's perks.  If you hit the $500 level you get a ticket to the pre-race pasta party.  If you make it to $1000 you gain access to the VIP tent.  My sincere hope is that the VIP tent has VIP potties so that I won't have to stand in line at the regular potties.


Won't you help put me in a VIP potty?  The goal is within reach!  Here's the link to my fundraising page - it's a pretty easy process!

St. Jude's Heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment